17 July 2020
I write with further details of our return to School in September.
As you know, the Welsh Government have requested that schools open to all students in the Autumn term and “from the second week of term it is expected that schools and settings will maximise the number of learners in attendance leading to a full return by the 14th September when school attendance will be compulsory for all pupils.”
Preparing to Open Safely
Accordingly, we are working hard to ensure that the school can open safely, and that we are able to provide subject lessons to all students from the start. To do this :
• we will be reorganising the usual timetable into morning and afternoon blocks for a period of time to reduce the amount of movement around the school
• break times and lunch times will be ‘staggered’ to reduce contact between year groups
• a one way system will be in operation around the building
• rooms and communal areas will be cleaned on a regular basis throughout the day
• doors and windows will be kept open in classrooms
• hand hygiene through hand washing and the use of sanitiser will be prioritised throughout the day.
In order to ensure that these new procedures are thoroughly tested and implemented, we are going to take a phased approach to reopening the school to students. This will also allow us to implement effective transition activities for certain year groups too. Accordingly, students will return to school on the following days :
• Year 7 : Thursday 3rd September onwards
• Year 12 : Friday 4th September onwards
• Year 11 & 13 : Monday 7th September onwards
• Year 10 : Tuesday 8th September onwards
• Year 9 : Wednesday 9th September onwards
• Year 8 : Thursday 10th September onwards.
We are waiting for details on transport arrangements from Conwy, and will publish these on our website as soon as they become available.
As always, we will be beginning the Autumn term with high expectations in the standard of our school uniform. School stockists are re-opening in readiness for the new term and all the details you need can be found here : https://www.aberconwy.conwy.sch.uk/school/uniform.
We anticipate that as far as possible, all of our normal procedures and policies will be operating as normal. So for example the finger print payment system in the canteen will be in full operation and homework will be set as normal!
We know that this marks the end of a very challenging period for the school, its staff and its students, and as such I would like to thank you, as parents, for all your support over the last few months. You will no doubt appreciate how hard the staff have been working to support students and to maintain contact with them. We are looking forward to seeing them all again, and would like to reassure you of our commitment to supporting them back into a more normal educational environment in the new term. Our plans will continue to prepare for future developments in the Covid-19 pandemic and will respond to any changes in guidance or exam specifications. We will of course keep you informed of such changes as they happen and will be in touch as September approaches with any more details you need regarding our reopening. In the meantime, please contact the school if you require any further information, and have a good and safe summer holiday.