Updated : 22nd March 2020
As you are already aware school will be closed from the end of the day 20/3/20. A copy of the letter sent to all parents on Friday March 20th regarding school closure can be found here.
Following a joint planning day on Monday 23/3/20 at school and cluster level, from Tuesday, schools will re-open for a new purpose. This purpose is to provide care for the children of essential/key workers during our normal school hours, where there is no other available childcare provision.
The information below will hopefully elaborate on the provision that will be available in school for the foreseeable future and help you to access it, but if you need any further information, please let get in touch.
If you are working as a key worker :
If you are working as a "key/essential worker" (as defined here https://tinyurl.com/sqjewep) and you need to access childcare at school, please complete the application form here https://tinyurl.com/vqq584q.
We strongly recommend that if you are a keyworker and are able to provide alternative childcare provision for your children then you do this rather than send them to school. School is operating as a ‘last resort’ childcare facility for parents that don’t have another option. We will rely on your honesty and clarity in this regard and hope that you would not put school staff and any other children at unnecessary risk. We will let you know what you need to do to access this support as quickly as we can.
Transport will continue as usual to support this and this provision will be continuously monitored over the coming weeks.
If you have a child at Ysgol Aberconwy who receives a free school meal :
If you have a child at Ysgol Aberconwy who would normally receive a free school meal during term time, we are able to offer you a 'packed lunch' for free during the current school closure period. This will need to be collected from a local school (not necessarily Ysgol Aberconwy) on a daily basis. If you wish to access this support, we would ask you to complete the details here https://tinyurl.com/tbctb5t on or before Monday 23rd March at 12 noon. We will then be in touch to confirm arrangements as soon as possible. If you have more than one child, please complete a separate form for each child.
If you have a child in school, who will now be at home :
If you have a child in school, who will now be at home, we will be supporting them in a number of ways :
- We will be continuing to provide work and resources for you to continue learning, in the following ways :
a) In school we are preparing resources and information for students to access remotely in the unlikely event that schools are asked to close at some point in the future. Most of these resources can be found on the student intranet here : https://aberconwy.sharepoint.com/Student/SitePages/Home.aspx. (Students will need to log in to this page)
b) As you will know, all subject classes in the school already have the facility to communicate through 'TEAMS' on Office365 - we will use this facility to maintain contact during any period that the school is closed. If we decide to schedule particular sessions at particular times, we will let you know when these will occur.
c) Many of our GCSE students are already using 'GCSEPoD' to help them revise. The company have created a pack of resources to help during this uncertain period. If the need arises, we will post information on how to access these and how to use them effectively.
- Please check back here for further details on how we will be meeting educational needs of students as the period of school closure proceeds.
- We will be maintaining contact with a number of families and students occasionally by phone, to see if we can support you in any way.
Other Information on the national picture :
- The Education Minister, Kirsty Williams, announced on Wednesday 18th March that schools across Wales will be closed from Friday 20th March 2020.
- You can read her statement here : https://media.service.gov.wales/news/school-closures
- The Minister has also published a statement about examinations this summer, which you can read here : https://gov.wales/written-statement-written-statement-summer-examinations-2020.
- There will be NO PUBLIC EXAMINATIONS this summer - grades will be awarded for Y11 & Y13 students only, based on work they have completed already. We will update this information as soon as we get it, so that you can be clear on the implications for your entry into the sixth form or university. You can find some details on this situation in the head teacher's presentation to students here. The details of how grades will be awarded is evolving, so check back here for updates.
- Five things you need to know before sending your children to school or childcare : https://gov.wales/5-things-you-need-know-sending-your-children-school-or-childcare
Please find a summary of links to advice that is generally available for your information :
a) Current government advice has been updated today (March 17th) and is summarised as follows :
Stay at home for 14 days if you, or anyone in your household, have either a high temperature or a new continuous cough.
Do not go to a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital.
You do not need to contact 111 to tell them you're staying at home.
Further information/guidance can be found here:
b) Specific details on 'How to Self-Isolate' effectively can be found by clicking here
c) A brief summary of the symptoms of the virus can be found here.