Petition on School Funding
Dear Parents and Carers
You may have heard about the continuing challenges headteachers are facing on school funding; this year alone the real term cut to school budgets is between 3.6% and 4%. This equates to a figure of over £200,000 for some of our secondary schools. As a joint response from all the secondary headteachers in Conwy we want parents to be fully informed about the challenges we continue to face and to encourage you to support us. With increased pressures on school budgets and cuts to services that support our most vulnerable young people and their families, it is make-or-break time for our schools. The financial situation has become critical. We are now in a position where many Conwy schools must make redundancies with a great many other schools being in a deficit budget over the next few years. Schools have an ever-increasing part to play in supporting children and their wider families, but this is being expected whilst our resources are reducing. In the end, it is the children within our communities who will suffer – they deserve better.
We are all having to consider decisions that would result in: -
- Larger class sizes and fewer teachers and senior staff
- School buildings falling into disrepair
- Reduction in support for ALN and wellbeing needs at a time when these are key drivers for curriculum reform and local social contexts
- Cuts to pastoral services including teaching assistants and support staff in general
- Outdated computer equipment
- Fewer trips and after school activities that have previously been subsidised or offered free
- Significant challenge to the growth of Welsh medium education and meeting the ‘Million Welsh Speakers’ and WESP targets
- Additional funding streams such as grants to support enhanced projects are now being used to support the core provision of our schools
As a group of headteachers we have tried to shield parents from the difficulties but because the situation is not sustainable, we are working together to make parents fully aware. There simply are not the savings to be made that can make up for the huge shortfall in our funding. It feels very unfair to our children and to our staff.
Representatives from Conwy headteachers have already met with local councillors to raise their awareness about the impact the cuts are having. We would like to ask you to join us and write to your AM and local councillors and/or add you name to the following petition on school funding:
This will all add strength to our concerns on the impact the cuts are going to have on the long term educational provision for your children.
Thank you in advance for your support.
Conwy Secondary Headteachers
Ian Gerrard, Ysgol Aberconwy
Trefor Jones, Ysgol y Creuddyn
Sarah Sutton, Ysgol Eirias
Ann Webb, Ysgol John Bright
Dave Humphreys, Ysgol Bryn Elian
Elan Davies, Ysgol Dyffryn Conwy
Lee Cummins, Ysgol Emrys ap Iwan
- Conwy_Funding_Cuts_Eng_YA.pdf (41 Downloads)