It is the policy of the school that all pupils should wear school uniform. This has the full support of the Governing Body.
Pupils are not allowed to wear nose studs, rings, large earrings or any other piercings in school. All pupils are expected to wear their hair in a suitable way for school. Extremes of hair fashion are not allowed
- White polo shirt bearing the school crest and a coloured collar indicating the student's house (Crafnant = green, Dulyn = yellow, Hiraethlyn = blue, Llugwy = red)
- Navy sweatshirt bearing the school crest
- Charcoal grey or black trousers / grey or black skirt (knee length) *
- Grey / white socks / stockings
- Black shoes *
Please note that infringements of the uniform code that cannot be rectified immediately may result in a pupil being sent home.
(* please see links below for a more detailed pictorial guide. Please note that skin-tight trousers, leggings and the like are not allowed. High street shops sometimes label these as ‘school trousers’, but they are not acceptable uniform at Ysgol Aberconwy.)
- Navy "Mercury" Polo Shirt (boys)
- Navy "Venus" Polo Shirt (girls)
- Navy "Response" Shorts
- Navy "Pulse" Half-Zip Fleece
- Navy "Trinity" Track Bottoms
- White trainers/football boots
A bag (rucksacks / shoulder bags are ideal) that is big enough to fit books, PE kit and the following equipment is essential.
Every student needs basic equipment every day. They should have a pencil case containing:
- Several pens (black or blue ink, and preferably ballpoints rather than cartridge and refillable pens as they have a tendency to leak)
- Several pencils
- Pencil sharpener
- 15 or 30 cm ruler (depending on the size of the pencil case)
Optional but useful items for a pencil case would include:
- A highlighter or two
- A few colouring pencils of various colours
- glue stick such as Pritt
- round nosed scissors
NO TIPPEX OR CORRECTING FLUIDS PLEASE
Specialist Mathematics equipment sets can be purchased from the Mathematics department in school.
Some subjects, such as Art for example, may have more specialist requirements especially for GCSE students. If this is the case the teachers will communicate that with pupils directly.
Jewellery, fashion and hair
The following is not allowed:
- ‘Choker’ type necklaces
- Nose studs
- Large earrings (the only earrings allowed are stud earrings for health and safety reasons)
- Any other visible piercings
- Nail varnish
- Acrylic finger nails
- Excessive makeup
Hair: pupils are expected to wear their hair in a fashion suitable for school. Extremes of fashion, such as tram lines and other patterned shaves or brightly dyed hair are not allowed. Hair dyed in natural colours is acceptable.
Infringements of the above guidelines will result in confiscation and /or removal. Infringements that cannot be rectified immediately, or repeat infringements, may result in a pupil being sent home. Any pupil with doubts about what is and what is not permissible should discuss this with their House Mentor before making a purchase.
Mobile phones and other technology
- Pupils are allowed to have mobile phones in school, but they should never be used in lessons without the teacher's permission and should be turned off during lesson times. If parents need to contact their child(ren) during the day they should use the school number at the top of this letter.
- The school cannot be held responsible for damage or loss to personal items and thus would discourage pupils from bringing any other equipment (e.g. tablets, iPods) to school. Such items may be confiscated for the safety of the item and pupils would collect them back at the end of the day. Misuse of mobile phones or other devices will also result in confiscation.
- We would also remind parents to read and be familiar with advice relating to the misuse of social media issued by the school on 12 June 2015 (www.aberconwy.conwy.sch.uk/en/newsletters)
1 Woodland Rd West,
Clifton House Newsagents
159, Upper Mostyn Street
Clothes for Work,
2 Trinity Square
LETTER FOR PARENTS / UNIFORM GUIDELINES BELOW