Required from January 2018 or as soon as possible: Teacher of Welsh
This is a temporary part-time (0.6 negotiable) position for an initial period up to August 31st.
Salary: Main Teaching Scale
Closing Date for applications: Monday January 22nd 2018
Start Date: January 2018
We are seeking to appoint an enthusiastic and highly motivated Teacher of Welsh; an outstanding teacher that will lead by example and support the department in achieving its ambitious targets. We encourage applications from teachers who feel they can add value to an already highly-effective department and prosper in a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
Successful candidates must:
- Be teacher of Welsh/NQT with consistently ‘Good’ or ‘Outstanding’ classroom practice
- A passionate advocate of the subject who contributes effectively to departmental and whole school improvement.
- Able to teach across the full age and ability range at age 11-18.
- Eager to become a supportive Form Tutor.
- Able and willing to make a full contribution to the life of the school.
- Have high expectations of themselves and others
- Be a good communicator with excellent interpersonal skills
- Be flexible and a good team player
The Welsh Department is a focal point for Ysgol Aberconwy; a place where students have the opportunity to excel. For the last three years, the department has achieved rates at higher than national average levels on a range of measures, including A-C grades. Our most recent results show our GCSE pass rate was 77%, with 34% of students achieving A*/A grades. The department has also started delivering a first language GCSE course, which will be offered to year 11 for the first time this year. The successful candidate will be joining a forward thinking department, working hard to develop the Welsh ethos within the school to give pupils meaningful opportunities through the medium of Welsh, for example the “Caban” (a central room for activities during lunchtimes through the medium of Welsh), guest speakers, trips (locally and nationally), language courses in Glan-Llyn/Plas Menai, theatre visits, bilingual assemblies and the school Eisteddfod.
It is an exciting time to join Ysgol Aberconwy, a mixed 11-to-18 comprehensive school of 800 pupils. Set in its own extensive new campus on the banks of the beautiful River Conwy, the school is situated in the medieval town of Conwy on the North Wales coast adjacent to the Snowdonia National Park. Ysgol Aberconwy’s proximity to the main A55 trunk road provides easy accessibility throughout North Wales, Cheshire and Wirral. The school is exceptionally well resourced with all teachers having access to personal technology, as well as an ICT suite for their curriculum area.
The diversity of the school community ensures that the school is a vibrant and interesting place to work. We offer:
- A well established and comprehensive mentor programme
- A strong personalised programme of professional development and coaching for teachers and support staff
- Strong links with other local schools for partnership working and support
- A strong community spirit
- Staff who are very supportive towards each other.