ENGLISH IS COMPULSORY AT KEY STAGE 4.
This GCSE specification in English language will enable learners to:
- Demonstrate oracy (speaking and listening), reading and writing skills that are instrumental in communicating with others confidently, effectively, precisely and appropriately
- Demonstrate their proficiency in accessing and retrieving information from a wide range of written and dynamic/digital texts, forming a broad general understanding of the text, summarising and synthesising content, inferring intended meaning and evaluating its purpose
- Understand the patterns, structures and conventions of oral and written language
- Understand the impact of variations in language, selecting and adapting speech and writing to different situations, purposes and audiences
- Develop their skills in order to meet their own personal needs as well as the needs of employers and further education so that they can fully participate in society and the world of work
- Develop their verbal reasoning and their ability to think constructively and critically in response to written and digital/dynamic texts
- Develop their proofreading and editing skills
- Acquire the necessary skills needed for further study, including the study of English at Level 3 of the National Qualifications Framework.
Oracy, reading and writing skills will be recognised in GCSE English language. Candidates should be inspired, moved and challenged by following a broad, coherent, satisfying and worthwhile course of study. They will develop their ability to use English as active and informed citizens and be able to speak, listen, read and write fluently, appropriately, effectively and critically - for a wide range of personal, functional and social purposes. Candidates will be expected to respond to a wide range of written texts, including challenging and dynamic texts. They will develop the knowledge and skills require to make informed decisions about further learning opportunities and career choices.
For more information regarding this course, please see our KS4 information booklet here.